Parking for Synchronicity

Don_Serl

Last weekend a party parked on the highway right at the corner on the hill opposite the "walk-down" for Synchronicity. The road at this point is narrow and there is no shoulder (or even much of a ditch) to get off onto, with a cliff restricting the "land" side and a cement retaining wall on the outside. Plus the parking position is not visible to downhill traffic coming around the "blind" corner until the last moment.

While the party were descending from the climb, the RCMP went into action, and it was only a prompt retreat to the vehicle and a long conversation that resulted in the penalty being a ticket rather than having the vehicle towed away.

West Coast Ice advises that "most parties now park a few hundred metres west up the Duffey [from the bridge at 13km]... and walk uphill a couple hundred metres" - there is a wider spot where the cliff peters out, with a bit of a shoulder and a ditch to allow one to get the vehicle pretty clearly off the travelled portion of the road. This has been common practice for several years, with no issues with the police or Highways personnel.

I was concerned that this incident marked either a change in policy (or judgement) on the part of the RCMP, or that alternatively by parking in an unwise location the party has now "sensitized" the RCMP to parking in this locale, and that enforcement in the future will be different than in the past. I phoned the Lillooet RCMP detachment to clarify, and I was told that when you park, both lanes must be left completely clear and traffic flow must not be restricted. I was also told that the RCMP usually only tickets parking violations, and that towing is only considered when the parking position threatens safety. Both actions are judgement calls by the officer. Personnel are aware of the inconvenience (and even danger) posed by "stranding" someone, which further reduces the impetus to tow someone.

In short, this was a bad choice of parking locations, and there is no "global" change. So long as you get your vehicle WELL off the travelled portion of the road, you'll PROBABLY be OK at the wide spot about 300m east of the corner (altho, to repeat, this is a judgement call, so no guarantees). If there is a lot of snow and/or ongoing snowfall, be aware that active plowing requires extra clearance for the plows, and behave appropriately. If in doubt, either park at the pull-outs at the bridge (1.1km distant, and 90m below) or at the crest to the west (1.0km distant, and 80m higher). We parked at the bridge and it took just 15 minutes to walk up to the curve.

cheers, don

p.s. if you choose to park down at the bridge, my judgement would be that it will take roughly the same time to walk the north-side creekbank to the gully below the route as it will to walk up the road (15mins), descend to the creek (10 mins), and shinney across the log (10 mins), even considering the 200m or so of slide debris that you need to cross on the north-sdie route. and on the way out, you don't face the trudge 70m or 80m back up the hill to regain the highway. your choice...

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic