Sloan Peak

Steven_Kalinowski

Oct 26

My wife and I attempted Sloan Peak on Saturday.

Started around 6:30 am. The Sauk River was low - followed flagged trail over logs and kept feet dry. The glacier is getting quite broken up, and we were stopped by steep ice. All we had were skimpy 6 point crampons on lightweight leather boots. Other parties had recently negotiated the glacier, but we decided not to push our luck. After reading the previous Sloan post, we were determined not to get lost while re-crossing the Sauk. But we did. We tried to block off the "wrong" fork of the trail - and this may help future parties - but I suspect that winter floods will change the route by next summer.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, I think I remember getting lost in that stupid debris field better than reaching the summit. Still have a big scar from some huge log that attacked me. [hell no]

Sounds like you were smart to turn back. We were little sketched and the snow conditions were better than you found them. It was our second attempt.

Drew