[TR] Mount Hood- Wy'East Face 11/22/2005

kioti

Climb: Mount Hood-Wy'East Face

Date of Climb: 11/22/2005

Trip Report:

The four of us, Jeremy, Matt, Glen and I, departed from the Mt Hood Meadows parking lot at around 10am or so. We'll call it the slacker's alpine start. Glen, the holder of a season pass, got a few runs in as we started the skin up the hill. We reached the top of the Cascade Lift around 11, and met up with Glen. The skinning was good for most of the way up the Wy'east Face. I pulled my skins off at around 9,500 feet, as I was struggling to keep the pressure on my skinny skins. After a brief lunch stop, we finished up and turned around at 2:15 at the upper chutes at the top of Wy'east. The skiing down through Skylar Bowl was incredible. The hard pack, windblown snow had softened in the afternoon sun and made for some great turns. As we got lower, though, the snow got heavier and turns, at least on my end, got sloppier. We finished up through White River Canyon (it would have been a better idea to go back through Meadows). The lower part of the canyon was icy and tracked out from snowshoers and sledders. All in all, a good trip. There could stand to be more coverage in the lower canyon, which would make the creek crossings a bit more bareable.

Gear Notes:

Brought Ice Axe and Crampons, didn't need.

Approach Notes:

Road was plowed nicely, but that has changed since.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic