Not enough clearcutting in the Cascades.

Redpoint

While I am not going to jump on my soap box but, I will stand next to it...

I have just returned from a presentation given by The Cascades Conservation Partnership who is in an "unprecedented" three-year $125 million campaign to purchase and protect more than 75,000 acres of privately owned forest that link the Alpine Lakes to Mt. Rainier. Many private timberlands in this area are threatened with development which is winding its way up from North Bend on the west side of the moutains or Cle Elum on the east. Most of the old-growth forests in private hands within Washington falls in this area, and is threatened with logging in the next one to three years. The Partnership aims to protect the old growth and stem development on key lands by working with the landowners who are willing to sell these lands.

What's at stake are wildlife corridors, ancient forests, roadless areas, wild rivers and many miles of popular trails. As mentioned the goal is to acquire and protect 75,000 acres of critical forest. The first priority is to save the ancient forests that are left from clearcutting to preserve their contribution to wildlife corridors and habitat. These lands include:

~ More than 22,000 acres of roadless forest

~More than 15,000 acres of the last remaining acient forest left on private lands.

~ 26 miles of river (which include wild Chinook salmon habitat)

~ 15 lakes

~ More than 45 miles of hiking trails.

If you are interested in learning more about this effort please visit http://www.cascadepartners.org

** Please forward this note to any friends who enjoy spending time on the trails, along the rivers or next to the many lakes of the Central Cascades. **

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Understood, this is a re-direct but the issues till remains the same. Without the attention of those who spend time in this area there is a extreme chance that major sections of it will be cut to the ground.

Spread the word - you too may be enjoying a hike on a warm summer day when the trail will lead you through a 1 mile x 1 mile plot of clear cut! So much for the wilderness experience.