McGregor via Sandalee?

dkemp

Just kickin' around an idea for early July. I love loops so...

I thought it might work to hike in to Rainbow Lake, down into upper South Fork Bridge Creek, up north slopes of McGregor to Sandalee Gl, up Sandalee Gl to McGregor summit, down the trail and back to Stehekin. Camps at Rainbow Lk and Heaton.

The Red Fred says nothing about the Sandalee Glacier.

Any info on such a route? -Dox

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've climbed McGregor before, and the top part of the traditional route goes along the upper Sandalee glacier. I have friends who have gone up there and skied before, so it's a fairly "navigable" glacier. The hardest part IMO would be making it up to the base of the glacier, as the bridge creeek fork valley down there is very brushy with no trail. I've got pics on my computer looking right down on that area from above and I can email them if you'd like.

wow, a reply 19 months after original post! cantfocus.gif Thanks for posting the cool photos bigdrink.gif

Yeah, I figure getting to the glacier will be the crux. Also, crossing Rainbow Creek in early season will be cruxy.

I'm looking forward to giving it a shot.

Dox

That crossing on rainbow creek (at bench creek camp) can be somewhat tricky, and has no bridge, but there was a decent log a few years ago. I should think you might have to get wet, but it wouldn't really be dangerous. If you go do this trip, or something out of Stehekin let me know, I'll be up there.