Rope up at McClellan Butte?

Need2Climb

Sorry if this is the wrong place for the post, but I had a question regarding the scramble at the top of the McClellan peak.

I've heard some people scramble this without any hesitation. What class is the scramble, is the rock solid?

I've also heard that people take a rope with them sometimes. The person I'm taking does'nt have alot of experience, and may want a belay for the final section. Are there sound belay spots both at the top and bottom of summit block? Any thoughts are appreciated.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

the scramble climbs along a ledge in rather a hrizontal trend. I was up there a few weeks ago but didn't really look in terms of gear placement. A roped fall would probably involve some pendellum action. The ledge is maybe a foot wide. I'd say leave the rope and just climb the summit block if you feel steady on your feet.

There is a spike at the bottom of the scramble section that would work if it is still solid. I'd think that it would be though it's been several years since I've been up there. At the top a hip belay would work given the low angle. Intermediate pro wouldn't be needed considering the climb length, angle, difficulty, ect.

I was up there last Thursday night. It is class 2-3 big holds with considerable exposure for the first 50' of elevation gain then it is a scramble path. There are a series of pipes on the top of the ridge cut off to 6" or so. If you can do the haystack at Si it should not be a problem. I have never seen it belayed. It looks scary to a beginer at the start though.