[TR] Diamond Peak- Southwest Bowl 6/18/2005

JoeMack

Climb: Diamond Peak-Southwest Bowl

Date of Climb: 6/18/2005

Trip Report:

Parked at a log landing at about 4,900'. It is south of the trailhead for Pioneer Gulch. Lots of blue sky, but as I got higher, I could see the clouds coming in fast. Got a little too far east as I was climbing and had to scramble over a chossy mess of a ridge to get to the bottom of the Southwest Bowl.

3997HPIM0630-med.JPG

Got to the snow at around 7,000 ft. The schwack through the underbrush had slowed me down considerably and the tiptoeing over the chossy rubble necessitated changing to boots. Once I got to the snow, I was much happier. I was able to slide my skis uphill skinless for a bit before the slope angle got to be too steep. Rather than putting on skins, I booted it straight up. The snow was great for kicking steps and I wanted to get up as quickly as possible: gray storm clouds were coming in over the peak now.

3997HPIM0633-med.JPG

Made it to a point near the summit ridge (GPS said 8,544') and it was very low visibility. The winds were howling and it was snowing sideways so I decided I would forego the summit and start heading down. I didn't hear any lightning, but I didn't want to be on top if it did come. Thankfully, I had goggles, heavy gloves, and a wool hat. The skiing in the bowl was really nice. My tracks are slightly visible in the picture...

3997HPIM06372-med.jpg

I was able to follow some fingers of snow down to about 6,500' before I had to start bushwhacking back to the truck. The GPS was indispensable.

Gear Notes:

Skis

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic