[TR] Mt. Matier- northeast ridge 6/19/2005

tlinn

Climb: Mt. Matier-northeast ridge

Date of Climb: 6/19/2005

Trip Report:

A large posse of VOC/VOC alumni went up to the Keith's Hut on Saturday night. Matt and Scott were hoping to ski the NW face so when they found out a few days before that we wanted to climb it we made plans to combine our efforts. We all met up at Keith's Hut, soaking wet on Saturday night and settled in for the night. The plan was for us to climb the face, scope the conditions, and then take some photos of them skiing it!

The hut was a very social on Saturday night. There were a few search and rescue teams coming up to work on some crevasse rescue stuff. I wanted to celebrate being three weeks away from graduation so I encouraged everyone to pack up wine and beer which lightened the mood a little on Saturdy night.

Sunday morning started off a little dreary but the clouds lifted as we reached the col between Matier and Joffre. The whole way up the Anniversary Glacier there were flows coming down off the East Ridge of Matier. The snow was super sloppy from all the rain and that a ski descent or climb of the NW face wasn't meant to be. Instead we all headed up the standard route and topped out on the ridge of Matier above the clouds! Unfotunately, the batteries in my camera died so I'll have to rely on someone else to post photos....maybe Andrew?

It was a spectacular day in the end. Matt Gunn ended up skiing almost all the way off the summit down the standard route of Matier.

By the way, the bergschrund on the NW face of Matier is completely filled in!

Gear Notes:

ice axe, rope

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic