[TR] Middle Sister, Camp Lake, May 28th & 30th 05

Gaper_Jeffy

Climb: Middle Sister-Camp Lake

Date of SKI: 5/28/2005 and 5/29/2005

Trip Report:

Our plan to ski the SE Ridge of Middle was thwarted by intense thunderstorms Saturday night, followed by rain and threats of more thunderstorms Sunday morning. We made one run above Camp Lake early Sun am in-between periods of rain, we found the snow surprisingly well-consolidated and of excellent skiing quality. We hiked out in the rain Sun morning. The views and the experience of a new area more the made up for the lack of skiing and being soaked.

Photos:

The views going into Camp Lake were spectaculor. They included, North Sister from the Southeast:

northSisSouthEast.jpg

Middle Sister from the East:

middleSisEastFace.jpg

Broken Top from the North:

brokenTopNorthWest.jpg

We camped at Camp Lake, which has this amazing view of the Northeast of South Sister:

campLakeSouthSis.jpg

Around 6pm our camp was very rapidly engulfed in clouds:

campWhiteout.jpg

This was soon followed by intense thunder, lightening, heavy rain and gusty winds. We took shelter in our tents.

We got up around 5am the next morning with a lull in the rain. It looked like more was on the way so we took just a short run above Camp Lake. Here was the view of the SE ridge from there:

southeastRidgeFromHighPoint.jpg

We found the snow suprisignly conslidate, it was nice summer corn. Andy:

andy2.jpg

andy1.jpg

Ann:

ann1.jpg

Soon it was raining again. We headed out:

skinngOutInRain2.jpg

An interesting gauge of the amount of rain that fell was Squaw Creek. Here's the logs we used to cross on Sat afternoon:

andyCrossingSquawIn.jpg

Here's those same logs Sunday morning:

squawBridgeOut1.jpg

We will be back!

PS: There is a more verbose TR here on TAY.

Gear Notes:

SKIS SKIS SKIS SKIS

Approach Notes:

Find a friendly Sasquatch to carry your packs and skis.

fruit.gif

PS: Am I suppose to post TRs in the Freshiezzone or in the Oregon Cascade forum? I like this forum the best.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn Jeffy, nice work! I'd post a TR of my trip a little further south, but it consisted of taking too long to pack our shit, getting to camp late, getting pounded by a thunderstorm, and skiing out in the rain the next morning. All in all a good time in Gaper Timmy's neck of the woods.