triple couloirs, Dragontail?

freeclimb9

Might someone have an idea of the route condition? I imagine the recent (and continuing) snow has had a negative impact, but can someone confirm, or deny that?

What routes might be climbable this time of year near Leavenworth?

best regards

[This message has been edited by freeclimb9 (edited 03-16-2001).]

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We went out on the weekend of March 10th and after breaking trail from the second bridge we got to the lake to survey the route..the first part (hidden couloir) you can get on.. the second couloir is the part that is not in (shape)..getting accross the exposed rock traverse from the top of the first, accross and into the second was crazy at best...it looked from the base of the climb to be about a rope length and a half to get into the thin second.Then it would be a pitch of thin mixed(mostly rock)to get into some ice. The middle of the second was very, very thin but getting better the higher that you were to climb. The third looked good all the way to the top..???? If ???? it could be done you would need alot more rock pro than all three of us had together and a dump truck full of balls minus the brains ...we will watch it close for the time that it is in for the next year smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I went and checked out Triple Couloirs last week (3-21) which wasn't easy considering that I live in Northern Utah. I road-tripped out with a buddy who had to get his gear from a summer-job in Leavenworth. We boot-packed in on Tuesday: no problem outside of occasionally postholing with regard to hiking, but otherwise the snow was uninspiring. Recent heavy rain created an ice crust over variable "stuff" depending on sun exposure. Early Wednesday morning we walked across Colchuck lake, and started up the Hidden couloir to discover conditions that we didn't like. The rain-crust overlaid sugar: uncompactable ball-bearings of indeterminate depth (well, maybe a foot, or two). In short, we downclimbed, cursed our luck, and walked out to the highway. BTW, the bouldering and cragging in the canyon was great for the next two days.

best regards