TR - In search of a fix - an addict's story.

snoboy

It may be best not to say that you are looking for "powder" when you are going through a border crosssing... that's the thought that occurred to me as the driver was answering the usual barrage of questions. Luckily she got the answers right, and we were allowed in to the USA.

After a winter that started out great, and then ended in a fizzle, we were in search of a bit more of the dry white stuff. We had spent the last three days dodging unseen rocks as we harvested the backcountry bounty of a March storm. Unfortunately it was too little too late, and our skis were bearing the scars to prove it. Despite the promise of more snow to come, we wanted more. Rumour had it that Montana was getting some. Tales of 4' in a week and more to come were enough to inspire us to hop in the trusty wagon and head south.

Responsibilities got in the way of hasty departure, and we ended up pulling in to Bozeman at 2AM with no reservations, only a printed out page that gave the adress of a hostel near downtown. Luckily there were some beds at the Inn, and we snuck in trying unsuccesfully not to disturb the sleepers who were already there.

The next morning we slept in... no real suprise there. Eventually we got our butts and our skis down to Big Sky resort, and stumbled into the gondola. It was beginning to look a lot like winter outside, and we all looked at each other with a bit of amazement, "We're in Montana! That looks like powder!"

It was, and 6 hours later we were satiated for the day. One ride up the famous tram (how Euro wink.gif )was a highlight, as we found 1000'+ of barely tracked pow to ride down in. We quickly learned to stay high on the mountain, as the lower reaches were F L A T! I usually think of a black run as something I have to make at least a few turns on...

The next day we were a bit more on it, and we made it to Bridger Bowl just as the lifts were starting to turn. This was exciting as I had heard great things about BB, excellent terrain, soul, and good snow to top it. We got two out of three. Unfortunately the lower elevation of BB made for heavier snow.

2753Hpim1065.jpg

One thing I learned on this trip was that the magic phrase... "visiting Patroller..." opens a lot of good doors. We were wined, dined, and treated very well. Well OK, nobody actually bought us dinner, but they did offer us cookies at the shack, and they carried our skis up the famous 350' hike to the ridge, and then showed us where to find the good snow. Not only that, they invited us back for more! Mad props to the BB patrol!

Day three woke up earlier, getting the routine now... call the snowphones, where to go??? Bridger for soul and terrain, or Big Sky for the snow? Duh! POWDER wins everytime! Quick walk over to the bakery for breakfast, and load the car up.

Today was a Tuesday, and Spring Break was over. This meant that the lineups that had been reasonable on Sunday were now almost nonexistent. Hmm, shall we lap the tram? Absolutely! I have never skied at 11,000'+ before, and I was loving it. Somhow the fact that we could not see more than 20' at any time, didn't matter. There was fresh snow, and we were in it.

2753Hpim1070.jpg

Soon our bodies were telling us it was time to leave. We made one last lap on the tram, and headed out to the base via the groomers. Did I mention yet how flat that mountain is?

Driving down the Gallatin River valley, and watching the snow squalls come and go as we crossed the plains around Bzeman, we agreed that this was not the last time we would come to Montana. Big Sky Country is a truly appropriate name, but the mountains are so close, and the town has the vibe of a place that's got it goin' on. Maybe next time it will be ice in Hyalite, or more powder at BB, or maybe I'll go to see the geysers in Yellowstone.

Who knows? I just know I will be back.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic