[TR] Tahoe - Mt. Tallac- NE ridge 2/14/05

Camilo

Climb: Tahoe - Mt. Tallac-NE ridge

Date of Climb: 2/14/2005

Trip Report:

My friend Jason and another buddy were coming to Portland from Boston for a Cross Country meet, so we figured we should take a ski trip from here. Originally the plan was to drive to Whistler but we decided we'd have better luck with snow in California, so Tahoe it was. After asking around on this board I got a few ideas, but bought the 50 Classic Backcountry Ski Descents in California book to get some ideas on where to go. We flew to Reno and stayed in Tahoe City not knowing any better, so don't ask me for lodging advice. We decided Tallac was the one to ski. It's about a 25 minute drive to the turnoff for Tallac from Tahoe City. A quick steep skin of about a quarter mile up a hill will get you into the basin where the ridge starts up to the right. After that, you'd better hope you have climbing bars because it's pretty much nonstop steep skinning all the way up. We followed a skin track that had been snowed on a bit. The slopes going up looked really good, and there were not tracks outside of the skin track anywhere:

5238Tallac-med.jpg

When we got to a flat spot (about 9000' I think), ate lunch, and decided to head down from there because it looked so good:

5238Tallac2-med.jpg

Fresh tracks, great snow, about knee deep.

5238Tallac3-med.jpg

We went back up, did it again, and called it a day. The next day we decided to do it again, but hit the summit bowl this time. By the time we reached our lunch spot, it was snowing quite a bit. We made the summit after about 4 hours and headed down. The summit bowl was damn good, and well worth the climb.

5238tallacSummit.jpg

All in all, a great time. Tickets from PDX were $130 on Southwest, worth every penny. I'm already thinking of going back soon!

Edit: This is my first TR, so any pointers are appreciated, or is this not worth a TR?

Gear Notes:

Skis, skins, avy gear.

Edited by Camilo

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic