Yakima Question

Peter_Puget

Back in the 70's I heard of Painted Rocks and Cowiche Canyon in relation to rock climbing. I understand Painted Rocks is off limits to climbing because of the Native American artwork, but whatever happened to Cowiche Canyon climbing? Reading the great new guide I realized that there was no mention of the area at all - nor Painted Rocks for that matter. Routes were most definately reported in Climbing Magazine during the 70s.

Edited by Peter_Puget

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I placed my first gear at the Painted Rocks; some Campbell Nuts I bought off a dude at the UW Rock!

The Highway 12 side of the painted rocks, which was mainly used for a long bouldering traverse, was closed by State Parks years ago out of concern for the pictographs. The area around the corner (which offered short leads and topropes) was closed in the late 80s by the private owner after a bunch of kids (I assume) went on a graffiti binge. (Among other things, they [somewhat ironically] painted a huge ecology symbol.)

There are some other short leads to be found on scattered formations up Cowiche Canyon. All in all, though, there's not much point in spending time looking for them when you can find much better climbing in the Tieton by driving another 20 minutes.

I might add that I have no idea about the current status of the "private" side of the Painted Rocks.

Andy, et al:

The Yakima Climbers Club, which was formed in October 2004, has brought up the idea among its membership to approach Mr. Garretson of Garretson Fruit, the owner of the property around the corner from Painted Rocks, about acquiring the property for a climbing practice area, or at the very least to regain access to the property for climbing purposes. Norm Reid, Rod Nelson, and Craig Sundquist are spearheading this effort, and have the support of the climbing community in Yakima. Anyone familiar with the Yakima climbing scene will recognize Norm and his contribution, and Craig was deeply involved “back in the day”, as was Rod. All still are. The Sundquists are also heavily involved in the orchard fruit business, and have connections with Garretson in that regard. Although this venture is in its embryonic stage, the outlook appears promising...

Stay tuned.