Dry ropes

Bogen

My Beal stinger (9.4mm 70 meter) is supposed to have Super Dry capabilities. As I understand it, there are basically 2 ways that ropes are water resistant, with woven hydrophobic yarn or with chemical treatment. My 1 year old stinger has both apparently, as well as a chemically coated core. It soaks up water like a sponge, way more than my 7 year old 10.5 mammut. Should I return it to MEC with a "doesn't meet expectations" or try some of the Nik-wax type rope treatments. Has anyone tried to treat their ropes to increase water resistance? Any recommendations as to more water repellent ropes?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, not this one. I have put my mammut 10.5 through the wash a couple times, and it's still water resistant. My mammut 8.5 is still good too. Yeah, maybe I'll take the beal back. Here's another question then: I had to chop the end of my 8.5, and it is now about 47 meters long, but in good shape otherwise. should I use it with a 50 (primarily for ice,) or will that be a pain in the ass too often? Optimally I should get back to dual 60's I know, but $$$!

I'm gonna try, I need a good rope setup.

Any advice on the second issue? Buy one 50 meter genesis to go with my 47 meter genesis, or haul out the credit card for the dual 60 meter setup?

As for returns to MEC...Several years back I was wearing vipers, and I exchanged them 3 times because the leather ripped. Turned out it was a known defect that la Sportiva was aware of, and exchanges were common. Might be the same deal with the rope. I've got a pair of moccasyms that are due for their first resole, and the leather is shot. I plan to take them, along with my old pair of moccasyms to show them 3 resoles and good leather, back for exchange. They sold me a waterproof rope, and it isn't, they might honor it.