[TR] Red Mountain- up NW face, down SW face 12/23/2004

Gary_Yngve

Climb: Red Mountain-up NW face, down SW face

Date of Climb: 12/23/2004

Trip Report:

Five of us headed up Red Mountain, hoping to catch some good views despite the crummy snow conditions. There wasn't much snow, and it was hard and firm along the trail. At Red Pass, we took a gully upward for a few hundred feet that consisted of nice styrofoam snow. The gully exited onto the upper face, where we found nowhere near enough snow over choss and slabs. After painstaking excavations of good holds, we walked to the summit. Descending the SW face was easier, but there still wasn't enough snow to feel comfortable plunge-stepping down. Every once in a while there'd be just 2-3 inches of snow over rock. Toward the bottom we had to meander around some more rocks, but we all got down without too much trouble.

I'll post a few pics later.

Gear Notes:

all of us should have had helmets

didn't ever need snowshoes

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I attempted der Toofen last Tuesday (Winter Solstice fruit.gif) with a couple folks and experienced similar flailing. We expected a cruise climb, and possibly a swing by Chair to check on conditions there. We were promply cold-cocked by the wet snow/ice covered rock (we didn't bring tools or 'poons). Hopefully the only time I'll have to see aided 5.4 climbing.