Lighthouse in storms?

markb

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a lighthouse last winter and have used it several times. It seems to hold up fine. I have not had it out in big wind yet. I did spend a night in it during a moderate snow storm and it held up fine. Winds were about 20-25 mph and it snowed about 6". I have also had it out during rain storms and and have had no problems. The only complaint that I have about the tent is that the door is so big that it is hard to get in and out with out kicking snow into the tent. As with most single wall tent breathablity can be an issue. Make sure to pitch it so the wnd can assist you and keep the flaps open if possible.

Unless BD is using some new improved Epic i have severe doubts about any Epic tent. I own an Epic Bibler bivy and a golite jacket. The stuff will shed a light mist for 30 mins or so but basicly leaks like a sieve. There is much false info on the net and i wouldn't put it past manufactures to plant shills on these forums.

I've posted previously on my good experience with the BD Lighthouse in heavy rains (do a search). I don't have any incentive from BD and am not employed by the gear industry in any way. If you buy one and it leaks like a sieve, just return to black diamond on false advertising, since they advertise it to withstand all but the heaviest rains - or something to that effect.

I trust that BD is in business to make money in the long term. If they sell a product that flat out doesn't perform as they say I won't hesitate to return it and I'd certainly be cautious about being a future customer. So far I'm happy with the tent.

I wouldn't want to set up any light tent in extremely strong winds. Bivy or select a protected site. I suspect the lighthouse tent is not as wind worthy as the Ahwahnee because the fabric is so much thinner and lighter.