Rocks of Sharon and Laclede

minx

After my original vacation plans went horribly awry, we decided to head east for a couple of days.

We climbed at 2 crags that turned out to be well worth the change of plans despite the fact i've been pining for some alpine.

first stop was Laclede which is just a bit west of sandpoint, id. not a huge crag by any stretch but lots of good routes in all grades. we found both slab and some fun cracks. super short approach, solid rock, not busy. well worth an afternoon. the views are nice by the noise from the hiway is a nuissance.

rocks of sharon, just south of spokane, turned out to be an adventure. we picked up marty bland's book and followed the approach directions. at the time of publication there apparently weren't issues with access. seems like there might be at this point but we may have been a little off course. it's well worth the 20 min hike uphill. great rock. lots of climbs. no one around. because the book was vague regarding anchors/rap stations on the gear routes and we were short on time we mainly stuck to some of the sport routes. these were very solid for their grade but really fun climbing. the cracks on the triplets and big rock are gorgeous. the rock is good and the area is quiet. it was easily in the 90s but there was good breeze to make it tolerable and lots of shady belay spots.

pictures tomorrow.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear that someone still climbs at LaClede. Old stompin' grounds for me; that and Schweitzer Practice Rocks.

Next time yu're up that way and want some alpine, you should check out Chimney Rock and Harrison Peak Southeast Face. Check it out in Randall Green's guide Idaho Rock.

PS: I didn't send you any beta on this stuff cuz your vacation plans specifically stated "canadian fun." Sorry your original plans fell thru, but it looks like you "stuck the landing" all the same.

you'd be surprised how difficult that book is to get hold of when you're in n. idaho smirk.gif truth is we weren't going to commit a whole day to anything so chimney rock was out. next summer for sure.

if i'd known i was going to laclede i would've asked for beta but it was a last minute thang. it was great. truly a pleasant surprise.

for those who might go to rocks of sharon. if you do find the right parking area. take the right hand road NOT the left. we added a ton of extra distance w/that decision cantfocus.gif

Laclede-fun stuff. solid rock. lotsa fun

nummmy....crack

showphoto.php?photo=6381&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

This was a 5.fun OW to several slab options.

showphoto.php?photo=6380&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=1

Rocks of Sharon- Big Rock

Anyone know anything about anchors/rap stations/trees to use for descent on Big Rock and the Triplets?

showphoto.php?photo=6379&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=1

well sheeit, i can't get the images to post. if anyone cares they're in the gallery.

Minx, Feel free to drop a PM or email next time your Spokane-way.

Triplets was my first solo and down-climb, down a bombbay chimney...I've since rapped off slings from top (still years ago), and more recently new bolts may have replaced the old rap slings.

Big Rock descent is a scramble (3rd class) down east side or raps down the west face on any of the newer 4 or so established routes there. I made some comments on your pix in the gallery. Thanks for posting 'em.

Cheers, Steve

Steve,

Thanks so much! We definitely plan on getting back there. i just wasn't in the mood to find out later that i was going to have to leave a piece to get down. i assumed there was a simple way down but had no confirmation of that fact. we ended up doing some sport routes on rock #6. wave.gif