[TR] Tomyhoi Peak - Southeast Route 7/18/04

Bill_Simpkins

Nice hike and easy scramble. Good views.

After 3 miles or so you, cut by the lake and head up steep slopes to the peak. 3 miles to lake, 2.5 more to summit.

3050P1010062-med.JPG

Polish Bob in action!

3050P1010025-med.JPG

It is easiest to cross a short patch of the Glacier to bypass some rock.

3050P1010042-med.JPG

After a short bit, of class 2, scramble some exposed class 3 to the summit.

3050P1010038-med.JPG

At the top:

3050P1010028-med.JPG

Nice hike/easy scramble.

8 hours RT with many breaks.

About 11 miles RT.

Ice axe optional. Ski pole or stick should be sufficient, but also required.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, I was told that it took a lot longer to climb tomy...was it 8 hrs rt or 11rt?? either way that still sounds faster than my friends have suggested. The same friends also suggested bringing ropes for the summit, they turned back because of exposure smile.gif Maybe I will have to head out there and find out for myself.

cool photos...the polish bob picture made me laugh out loud.

Just up there two weeks ago. Skip the ice axe, there's only the tiny patch of snow left that you see in the picture, and the run out if you fell (you won't) is safe and is even fun to glissade. I took a rope there a few years ago in the summer and never took it out of my pack. It is a pile of choss, but has a great view.

Last year there was a family with four kids under 14 years old on the summit. I watched from high divide this weekend and saw about 15 people near or on the summit.

Was up there on Saturday. Nice little mountain with views of Canadian clearcuts. A little hot, but a nice breeze made it tolerable. Spent 45 minutes on the summit and went swimming on the way back - took us about 8.5 hours rt. No snow on the route except for the short and easy 100' glacier traverse.