[TR] Mt. Adams - N. Ridge 6/17/2004

Juan

Climb: Mt. Adams -N. Ridge

Date of Climb: 6/17/2004

Trip Report:

On June 17, the last day of my 40th year (41st birthday June 18), I hiked up the N. Ridge of Mt. Adams to redeem the previous weekend when we were stormed off the peak on Sat. night (June 12). The N. Ridge is technically easy if long and somewhat crumbly. A good and safe solo route.

I left Bellevue at 3:45 a.m., and left the car at 7:25 a.m. My arrival awoke three skiers who were sleeping at their cars. To get there, I took FR 23 to 21 to 56 to 5603 to 2329 to Killen Creek TH, as I recall. I hiked up to the base of the ridge, went around to look at the Lava Glacier Headwall, and decided I didn't have time to fool around with a real climb. I hiked up the ridge and topped out at 3:00 on the true summit in a whiteout. The 22 or so people who had climbed the Adams Glacier that day left a nice footpath which helped in the white conditions. The weather cleared a bit on top which was nice. I was back at the base of the ridge at 5:15 p.m. and shot the shit for 30 minutes with the three skiers, who had skied the W. Face of the N. Ridge in fine style. Back to the car at 8:00 p.m., and back to Bellevue at midnight, just in time for the big thunder storm.

I recommend this trip for anyone looking for a good workout and safe solo route to the top of a volcano.

Gear Notes:

Ski poles, crampons (had steel but should have had aluminum), one ice axe, and ginseng. I had no bud green, but it would have helped.

Approach Notes:

See road notes above. Trail is snow-covered from about 5,700' I think.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic