Bonanza- Mary Green Gl.

Rod_Xuereb

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

snow level starts at about 5500 foot in the area when I was up there 2 days ago. That's in the open. There is still scattered annoying snow in the forest down to 4k or below on the phelps creek approach, but I am not sure about rainbow creek. I ran into some people who had come up that way and they said it's pretty much bare.

I would guess the climb would be fine. I dont think there is anything on it that more snow would make particuarly difficult, and, if anything, the glacier will be less broken.

Let me know if you need a partner for Bonanza. wave.gif

snow level starts at about 5500 foot in the area when I was up there 2 days ago. That's in the open. There is still scattered annoying snow in the forest down to 4k or below on the phelps creek approach, but I am not sure about rainbow creek. I ran into some people who had come up that way and they said it's pretty much bare.

I would guess the climb would be fine. I dont think there is anything on it that more snow would make particuarly difficult, and, if anything, the glacier will be less broken.

Let me know if you need a partner for Bonanza. wave.gif

Josh, what'd you do up there?

Went up the Phelps creek trail and up to a col between red mountain and the peaklet west of spider gap. From there I skied over to the southeast ridge of Chiwawa. I was hoping to climb it from that (vs. going around and up the Lyman Glacier). This plan failed when I reached a super exposed friction traverse 400vf beneath the summit. I dont think I would have thought much of if I had rock shoes or even reasonably sticky climbing boots, but I wasn't about to try it in skiboots. Defeated and tired I decided to just ski home rather than go around the other way smile.gif

The skiing down from the col and down spider glacier was actually pretty fun.