[TR] South Sister- South Side Plab VOL2004 Part 1 5/25/2004

gapertimmy

Climb: South Sister-South Side Plab VOL2004 Part 1

Date of Climb: 5/25/2004

Trip Report:

You know i'z gotz to break off some for my grlll south sister too. I can't be givin all my love to middle... Today the plan was simple, go up to brokentop with 7 japanese tele guys with schralper. ?! hahaha.gif Unfortunatley en route to meet my friends from the land o the rising sun, senor schralper informed me the international outreach mission had been canceled. no big deal me thinks, rumor had it that the cascade lks hwy was opening, i drove up the road.

bastards. the plowed road still sealed tightly behind the fahkin gate. I decided to go work instead hahaha.gif. Fortunatley, schralper came by to get my arse away from the computer, and, well, the rest of the day just got better and better.

The gate was opened at 8:30ish, the official cascade lakes summer of plab 2004 had begun.... i knew it was time to go check out that SICK line down the south side of south sister, south side of south sister, south side of south sister, say it 10 times in a row.

Well it was hot, damn hot, and i got a late start (THANKS ODOT madgo_ron.gif), but it was still very dope to be a lone gaper on such a popular mountain.... not a single person in sight for miles, all this corn, all mine!!!!!!

3113morainelk-med.jpg

Suprisingly, there was a nice little icy layer on top of the snow that made skinning up quite enjoyable. Soon I was chillin up on top (well not that soon, its a freaking death slog, but sooooo worth it), enjoying the solitude, and takin in the wonder of what is called the 3 sisters wilderness

3113middlenorth-med.jpg

Middle and North Sisters from South

The aforementioned icy layer had softened up just so, revealing a tasty ass little stash of corn... mmmmm. Corn kicked up from turns slid down the firm surface making a neat little whissssssssssssssssssssssssh sound as i skied down. Life is good.

3113stoke.jpg

HOLLA ATCHA BOYZ

GET SUM (quick, its going to melt fast)

Gear Notes:

saucer boy

Approach Notes:

snow all the way to the road, luge run down to devils lake is IN. not a whole lot of parking at all along the highway, all trailheads still snowed in.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Timmy,

as usual, primo pics...jealousy inducing as usual...

quick question, is it still snow shoe conditions up there for we sloggers without the two planks? I was thinking of wandering up the south side this weekend...just wondering if I should pack the big shoes.

Thanks!

well, i did see some boot pack in the canyon headed up to moraine lk, not too much postholing there. if you got going early enough, and if it freezes up you shouldn't need snowshoes. the ridge above the lewis to the top was starting to melt out, and i'd imagine with today's rain it will be melted out, all depends on the weather though.

And one more (hopefully not too annoying) question...how was the 'ol parking situation at the climbers trailhead? The Deschutes NF website makes it sound like there woudln't be room to stash your little sisters bike, let alone park your car...what did you see? Is it going to be tricky this weekend?

Thanks again!