[TR] Mt Rainier- Nisqually Chutes 5/16/2004

Dr_Crash

Climb: Mt Rainier-Nisqually Chutes

Date of Climb: 5/16/2004

Trip Report:

Sunday, we decided to head to Mt Rainier to ski Paradise Glacier. However, the visibility was not really with us, as this magnificent shot of Rainier from the road shows:

blpic23865.jpg

So instead we decided to forego the glacier and go ski the Nisqually Chutes instead. The chutes are about 3,000 feet above Paradise, and I was told were really fun to ski. We were a party of 6 and found 4 friends on the parking lot, and decided to combine our trips to make one.

So here we go, slogging along towards Panorama Point...

blpic23866.jpg

After a while, we decide to boot up to gain the upper ridge. I am not a big fan of booting up with G4s and Trekkers on my back...

blpic23867.jpg

... but some people apparently love the boot up:

blpic23868.jpg

Anyway, we resume the slogging, and slog, and slog, and slog...

blpic23869.jpg

We finally reach the entrance to the chute we were to ski. Kim checked the snow conditions on that aspect.

blpic23873.jpg

blpic23874.jpg

And we went for a few nice turns.

blpic23875.jpg

blpic23876.jpg

Different people have different styles laugh.gif

blpic23877.jpg

(Damn, can't make this one work: http://tinyurl.com/2lhba is a link to Webshots; maybe try this link instead).

blpic23880.jpg

After all that fun and these precious minutes of skiing, time to get on the skins again...

blpic23881.jpg

And reach the parking lot.

blpic23882.jpg

The day was spent in light rain and fog, with a bit of snow thrown in at higher elevations...

drC

Gear Notes:

G4s + Trekkers. Ugh.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a typical day in the Cascades. Turns are turns though. I never see many people doing this, but a buddy of mine and I have been dropping over the rock ridge a bit east onto the Paradise Glacier the last couple times we skied up there. We've found some fun terrain all the way into early October. Worth checking out.