climb Rainier

TrailPair

We are novice climbers, looking for an experienced rope team leader. Date for climb undetermined, to be based on weather. We have necessary gear and have basic knowledge of prusiking, setting z, pulleys, etc. We are willing to pay permits and fees and provide transportation. Contact us if interested. hahaha.gif

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all booked up from this site. You will probably get a tker or two also but here is another option. Go up to Muir and hang until someone is willing to rope up with you. There are a lot of people up there on the weekends and the route up the DC is literally a trench in the snow. Just turn around in time to get back to Ingraham flats by 1PM so you don't come down with an avalanche.

Hey, are you guys the "trail pair" from wta.org? I'd be willing to go along with you guys on a Rainier climb depending on when you want to go. I'm not really all that experienced but I have definetely done some climbing (Baker, Glacier, Eldorado, Ptarmigan Traverse, Temple, Athabasca (Canadian Rockies)). I've also been up to approx. 14,000 feet on Rainier via the DC route. We turned around because we had left way too early (pitch black at 14K!) and it was starting to snow and blow pretty bad. I should mention that I'm not formally trained in any way. Since I usually travel in groups of two, I haven't practiced pully system stuff in years as it is nearly useless with two people. Generally, on Cascades glaciers, I assume that it's the responsibility of the fallen to extract themself from the crevasse while the partner/partners hold in self arrest. Excepting this though, I think I'm fully qualified to climb Rainier and to have something of a decision making position.

Which route would you want to go up? The attempt mentioned above was the DC route but I'd really like to get over to Emmons as well. Either is cool with me.

In general I require more aclimitizing than some, so I'd want to do Rainer over 3 days (with a full day spent at Muir or Sherman). When, in general would you guys want to go? There's a possibility that I could go during the spring, but it's really hit or miss because I'm in school and going to work. I get out of school June 14th and would be most available Tues-Thurs from then until July 15th when I would be available full time until August 1st when I'm leaving for Europe.

If you guys do want to go with me, it would probably be a good idea to do some sort of day trip first, so we can correct any possible problems (and you can teach me how to do the pully systems thumbs_up.gif

hallah back

Hi, meganerd...Yes, we are the Trailpair. We have enjoyed reading of your exploits on wta.

Well, you have more experience than we do. We have had opportunity to use our crampons and ice axes on Mt Adams, Mt Daniel, 3 fingers and few others. So, this is kinda the next step as we have not yet been anywhere that would require roping up.

As far as dates....we are a working couple so we pretty much need to look at doing the climb on a weekend....and we would study the weather before making the decision to go. So, that would probably mean getting only 3 - 4 days notiice. As far as route, we are looking at either Dissapointment Cleaver or Ingrams Direct via camp muir.

We got out last weeekend for a fun hike/climb to Bean Peak and Earl Peak. We did a report on wta.

I think it would be a good idea to do a trip. We have been looking at doing Ruth Moutain when it is possible to get to the trail head.

looking forward to hearing back from ya

You mentioned Ingraham Direct. Does this mean that you're thinking of going relatively soon? From what I understand, that route is usually out by early next month. If that's the case, I probably won't be able to go on 3-4 days notice cuz I generally work weekends.

You mentioned Ingraham Direct. Does this mean that you're thinking of going relatively soon? From what I understand, that route is usually out by early next month. If that's the case, I probably won't be able to go on 3-4 days notice cuz I generally work weekends.

True about the ID. It also is a more likely place to find a crevasse.

Yes, we hope to go soon....as soon as we get a good weekend. Although, we might be able to do a Friday - Saturday outing. We understand that conditions on the mountain are pretty good right now....and that it starts getting icey with more crevasses begining in July. So, we hope to go before that happens.

"icy and more crevasses"

Not a problem at all during reasonably settled weather on the Disappointment Cleaver or Emmons routes due to their being so well traveled, although this year might be an esception come mid-August because it's been so dry. Last year was dry too though and DC was perfectly passable on September 5th although the sun-cups above the cleaver were taller than me hellno3d.gif

So, we'll keep in touch.. Also, if you haven't experienced the elevation before, I would highly suggest NOT doing Rainier as a two day trip, unless you can get up Adams or maybe Hood within a week before you're on Rainier.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there... Wanna a fourth on your Rainier climb? I used to work for RMI and have been to Muir. Unfortunately, I did not have the time or option to to continue up the DC, however, I am searching for a group/team to saddle up with and attempt the summit. I have some decent connections with RMI and in Ashford and would not be a liability on the rope. (I would prefer not to lead past Muir, as I have not be past the flats yet.) Email me... ndcrew10@hotmail.com

Thanks

Sean