Scarpa Alpha Liner Question

DonnV

I've looked through older threads but still have some questions for any of you who have these boots. I've been looking for a pair in my size and have found an '03 model for $245 (old style liner) and an '04 model for $290 (Thermo liner). Both pair of boots feel like a great fit right out of the box. If there was no '04 model, I'd wouldn't hesitate to buy the old ones.

1) What exactly happens to the fit of the thermo liners after the heating process? The one fit problem they have right now is that they seem too large at the top of the ankle, and there's barely any overlap to the Velcro. I can always resew the Velcro, but I'm wondering if the fit will change there after heating.

2) Is there any reason to consider the cheaper boots with the older liners? I get the idea that everyone is sold on the thermos. I like the fact that the older liners have a "sole" that allows you to use them as camp boots, but I realize I almost never did that with my old plastics. I would also like to climb in these as much of the year as possible without them being too warm in the summer. Are the Thermo liners so much warmer that they'll make the boots too warm for summer use, like on Rainier?

3) If I had the bucks I think I'd go with the older boots and then buy some Thermo liners for winter climbs. I've seen posts about buying cheap thermos. Have they worked out okay for those that have bought them?

Thanks for any info!

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days