Shuksan

mumm

If this weather holds out till the weekend I'm planning on having a go at Shuksan. I've never been up her before, but was thinking either white salmon or fisher chimneys were our best bets for this time of year. I'm concerned about avalanche danger, particularily on white salmon. Probably try to get through the hairiest parts in the morning. Anyways, sugestions, recent conditons? Much apreciated.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The north side of Shuksan Arm, from the White Salmon Glacier over to the ski area, produces some of the largest avalanches I've ever seen. I am sure they debris pile right now is at least a half mile wide and taller than a sport crag. But these catestrophic avalanches generally occur when warm wet weather stresses the snowpack and outside these periods, I have not thought the White Salmon was more dangerous than any other north facing mountainside in the area (though don't hang out under the hanging glacier because it calves off ice avalanches once in a while). At this time of the year, the biggest problem I've had with the White Salmon is that there is a several week period in which the snow goes "isothermal" and you're likely to be up to your neck in the stuff -- even in the morning. If so, the Sulfide might be an easier option even if it involved a few miles of road hiking. The Fischer Chimneys route travels on so many different aspects that it might not be a good choice if you are worried about avalanche danger, but in cold weather it would probably be OK.