cheap ways of ascending a rope

cuz

I'm looking for a cheap ascender to bring up a second on a free-hanging aid route. I've used prusiks before in these circumstances. They work but they tend to tighten up a lot after they've been weighted which makes them a pain to move up.

Some other thoughts were a Bachmann or Klemheist knot around a biner, neither of which I've tried before.

My last thought was (gasp!) purchasing a Petzl Tribloc.

Anyone care to comment on these and other ascension "devices" and how they compare with each other?

(Yes, I know, I'm a cheap bastard and I should get a real ascender, but, well, I'm a cheap bastard.)

Cuz

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by cuz:

Anyone care to comment on these and other ascension "devices" and how they compare with each other?

Cuz[/QB]

I've used a Tibloc, both versions of the Ropeman and other sundry ascenders. Both the Tibloc and the Ropeman work, but I'd say the Ropeman is preferable to the Tibloc. The Ropeman functions more like a "real" ascender, and is much nicer for repeated ascending - and it's teeth aren't as likely too chew up the sheath on your rope. For both you need locking biners.

That said I'd spend the money to get real ascenders - they're much more comfortable for the second - and if you don't have spare lockers that will fit, the price difference isn't that much.

Carl