Opinions on the REI Half-Dome Tent

Jonathan

It's billed as a three season tent. Has anyone out there experienced its performance in high winds and heavy snows? Spindrift problems? Felt warm and fuzzy about cooking in its vestibule? I may not be able to replace my aging, beloved Biber so easily and am looking for alternatives. Note that I only find myself in extreme conditions a few times a year, but enjoy winter camping. A heavier wallet is preferable over a lighter pack at this point! tongue.gif

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the "Half Dome Plus Two".

692840_9200.jpg

Top half of the doors are mesh so it's a three season tent. I used mine on Mt. Hood once in windy conditions and got a fair bit of spindrift coming in so I buried the windward edge of the fly with snow. That worked pretty well, but... yeah, it's a three season tent. I would guess that at Vantage on a windy night you'd get sand blown in through the mesh too.

Only weighs 5lbs and costs $150. That's pretty good. Rainfly is polyester and fully taped which means very good waterproofness and very little stretch/sag in the rain. Vestibules aren't very big and I haven't tried cooking in them. Two doors is nice so girlfriend/belay slave doesn't have to crawl over you to use the facilities in the middle of the night. Gear loft is nice. Reflective guyline ties. Ventilates well. Fairly steep walls, so probably handles snow pretty well, though I have not yet tested this. It's a clean, simple two-pole design that is easy to set up (clips no sleeves) and has a minimum of superfluous features.

Things I don't like: It says REI in great big letters on the fly. Some sloppy stitching of the zippers on the doors.

Overall: thumbs_up.gif

FUCK YEAH!!!

This tent rocks seriously rockband.gif. This is one of the few things I have owned that has for the weight and price has been bomber. Taken it up rainier twice, extended trips many other places, and it rocks. If you get the footprint on the bottom, it becomes a nice 4 season tent. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifbigdrink.gif

skyclimb said:

If you get the footprint on the bottom, it becomes a nice 4 season tent.

How does adding a thin piece of nylon UNDER the tent make it a four-season tent? It still has mesh walls which allow spindrift to come in, and heat to go out, and "adjusting the length of the rainfly" doesn't cure this problem. I also don't think this tent is "great to cook in" since the vestibules aren't that big. I don't think any tent is "great to cook in", but those heavy/expensive mountaineering tents have much larger vestibules. If you have a hanging stove everything is groovy though.

SO... I disagree with skyclimb's assesment of some of the strengths/weaknesses of the tent, but we both agree it's a winner.

Mudslinger, glad to hear that the tent handles high wind well. I haven't been in mine in anything over about 35mph yet.

thumbs_up.gif

Alpinfox you bring up a good point, which I neglected to mention:

The Half domes weakness is in the bottom. The nylon wears through quickly, making a footprint a neccesity when sleeping on snow. It is nice to have two vestibules for cooking on one side, and storing shit on the other! bigdrink.gif