Big Wall Whackjobs,or Why we Do It

willstrickland

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is RURP. I have an even more beautiful and inspiring quote. "I climb Big Walls because they allow me to achieve my own personal sense of excellence; they allow me to avoid superficial and unsatisfying relationships with those who dwell in the horizontal planet. Big Walls are a world where concentration, determination and ambition rule and where the only terrorists are unintentional gapers who drop gear or poo-bags."

Do you know who said that? It was me, RURP, and I said it right now so you didn't have to pay $15 to scavenge it from a Jack Short novella.

RURP has spoken.

This is Will:

RURP, you start climbing them big walls and the next thing you know you're smokin them doobies. Pretty soon, you'll be hangin with all them Cal-i-forn-e-a hippie climber wannabes over at the Center of the Universe, then the next thing you know you'll be chuggin cock...wait, you already do that, my mistake. Thanks for the quote Pope wink.gif" border="0 , uhh I mean RURP, and have a good holiday. And btw, the only terrorists might be mud falcon launchers on the Capt, but Caldwell, Rodden, Dickey, SMith might think otherwise when talking about ranges abroad.

Will has spoken, now Will gets on the train and goes home, fixes his brakes and drives to Seattle to meet a bunch of cock chuggers, I mean dope smokers, to go bash some ice in Canyukada.

wink.gif" border="0

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: willstrickland ]

This is RURP: O.K. Mr. Will. You stand over there next to that guy who thinks I am pope. You are wrong. In fact, you can stand over there next to pope who who I recently met and find to be a little wiry smart-ass. You go and have a nice holiday too. And by the way, I do not climb the routes where the falcons are nesting unless they are away. Have a nice holiday. And by the way, there are no hippies in my life and there probably won't be any.

RURP has spoken.

This is the best quote I've seen in trying to capture the "why"

"Our imagination often conjures notions about places and things that reality frequently falls short of. But wall climbing is one of those rare things whose scope and immediacy goes beyond our dreams. On the high crag, we feel our life acutely. Though the sun and moon cut across the sky, time melts into a taut present tense as we encounter ourselves moment to moment. We feel our life, and our death. We are fully awake. The rest of our life is like driving in second gear." -Long