Accidents in Cent. OR Cascades

nolanr

What's up? Has it been a bad year, or is that normal? There was the guy this summer, I think he was traversing the 3 Sisters, failed to show up at the trailhead to be picked up. Last I heard they hadn't found him. 2 guys disappeared around Broken Top this weekend. Maybe there was something else, too. Things can always go wrong in the mountains, but that isn't really the most rugged, remote area. Don't get me wrong, I love it down there, I'm just surprised by the number of disappearances or accidents.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Living in Bend you see these accidents or lost climbers always on the news. I was on the N. Sister this past summer and after summitting I came across a climber who was unable to get down right before the traverse. Luckily I had brought a short rope (really don't know why) and was able to get it up to him and belayed him from a boot-axe belay. The Sisters are easy to climb but for unexperienced climbers, they can be a challenge. My guess is that most of these climbs don't require a rope and on that assumption you get many novice climbers venturing into the high country.