current Ghost river ice & approach beta

mountainbull

Looking for current beta on the Ghost, Waiparious climbs/approach cond. specifically for Sorcerer & Hydro. I have been out of the country most of the season, and want to get some good ice on a short trip next week. Also, anyone been up to the Stanley headwall? Cheers!

Eric Murphy

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorcerer and Hydro are in as well as Kimosabe and Marion Falls, all best approached through the Waiparious Creek instead of the Ghost. I made it all the way in using a Subaru Forester with chains. The approach in the new guide book is fairly accurate although using driving time vs. actual distance is a little subjective. I also heard there might be better beta on the Will Gadd website. Here's what I remember: Drive past gate to Ghost. Guide says 20 minutes further, but it was more like 12 to obvious green sign pointing left for Waiparious Creek. Go about 1.8 MILES to left turn. Look for big blue arrow painted on tree. Follow this, crossing small creek, then follow road keeping Waiparious Creek on left and any Cabins on right for about 12K. You then cross the Waiparious and follow a cut line then hang a left to climb a steeper, narrow road through the forest. This is where we needed to put the chains on. When you come out of the forest you follow a big meadow, first on the right, then on the left. Somewhere along this section, you make it onto the map in the guidebook. We parked up the Marion Falls drainage by rallying a little further, but you can park earlier to begin walking to Sorcerer and Hydro (to left) .

It's a little confusing because there are lots of other tracks from ATV's but it seemed if you stuck to the "main" path, it lead you to where you want to go.

When you get back, tell us your "ghost" story!

David,

Thanks for the post/beta. Were you in there recently? I had heard the approach was in excellent conditions for much of the season, but now there is more snow/drifts, ect. I have never been in from Waiparious, but Gadd does have good beta for this. We will bring skis, and camp anyway, so it is all good. Hopefully it is not -30! Cheers!

Eric Murphy