[TR] Mt. Rainier- Muir Snowfield 12/3/2004

chelle

Climb: Mt. Rainier-Muir Snowfield

Date of Climb: 12/3/2004

Trip Report:

Did my first outing of the year yesterday (and my first outing to ski on Rainier). We skined up the snowfield to about 8000' yesterday. Bluebird skies and good snow for the morning and early afternoon. It was beautiful up there! Clouds blew in from the west around 1:30 pm with some pretty strong wind gusts.

Got blown over trying to lift my pack/skis on at pan point yellaf.gif then post holed through thigh deep powder to get to the boot/ski track, which made it a full value experience.

Got some good truns in on the 4-6 inches of untracked snow. There are still some rocks just under the snow, especially on any exposed ridges. The current storm will hopefully bury all of them. Much fun was had! cool.gif

fruit.gif

Gear Notes:

What I should have brought...

Camera to show all you fools who had to work how nice it was. moon.gif

Wouldn't have minded an axe for the traverse down from Pan Point...that's a steep dropoff. It just made me mindful of my balance.

Approach Notes:

Road conditions were good. A little ice buildup just before you get to the Paradise parking lot. The gates were open at 7:30 am, which was earlier than the recent average of 9:30. Ranger said if they don't get new snow all they have to do is put some new sand down and then they'll open it.

Edited by chelle

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic