My informal hiking guide to the Bend area

Cut and Pasted from a blog, but I figured this might be nice for some folks to see here too.

I spent a summer working for the USFS on Deschutes National Forest doing trail work, and during that time, I was able to hike a majority of the trails available in Deschutes NF. Throughout the summer I took some quick notes on which trails were worth hiking again and when to hike them. Seeing as this is a very outdoorsy group, I thought it would be a good thing to share some of that knowledge with everyone. This hiking is on the east side of the cascades, typically within a 45 minute drive or less of Bend. The more-or-less “official” trail name is followed by a description.

Trails to hike in the Spring:

Metolius River East and West; Two trails travel down stream from where the river emerges out of the ground from under Black Butte through INCREDIBLE wildflowers from may to July. The river level is constant year round, allowing moisture loving wildflowers to have year roud water in an otherwise dry, arid landscape. Morning and evening brings out the charismatic mega-fauna (CMF’s) that we all love to see. This trail is not difficult at all, and there are several locations where dirt roads allow for vehicle shuttle parking.

Park Meadow; a long day of hiking through endless lava flows covered in lodgepole forest emerges into a large perfect meadow with views of all the Sisters and Broken Top. This can be done as a full day daytrip, or an overnight (with a scramble up Middle Sister if you are feeling strong. Bring your camera for the view from the meadow.

3 Finger Jack/PCT; Hike along a section of the Pacific Crest Trail and see the 2003(?) B&B Fire rejuvenate itself as time goes on. Due to the lack of trees, you get excellent views in every direction as you climb the ridge to the base of 3FJ. The species of plants and animals occupying this area is drastically different from what was here before, but no less amazing to see and hear.

Trails to hike in the Summer:

Lava Camp Lake to Scott Pass; Starting at Lava Camp Lake, hike a very steep trail through massive old growth western hemlock and emerge amidst two pristine alpine lakes nestled in the craters of several geologically recent lava flows. This ideal lunch spot overlooks EVERYTHING! (Mary’s Peak to the Ochocos, Mt Jefferson to Mt. Thielsen). For you who are not familiar with those peaks, that is 150+ miles in every direction. From the coast to nearly 300 miles inland. Keep an eye out for Horny Toads (actually a species of lizard), deer, Pine Marten, and butterflies in the meadows.

Tam Macarthur Rim; Start at a large alpine lake and gradually hike up a rim trail that puts you atop a thousand foot wall directly above where you started. Continue on to the base of Broken Top’s jagged peaks to add another 2 miles. The rim is another amazing lunch spot or campsite opportunity. This trail is also great for XC winter camping trips

Green Lakes to Soda Creek Trail; If you can survive the crowds on Green Lakes trail, continue on 1/3 of the way around the base of Broken Top through seeping springs above alpine meadows and drop back down to the parking lot on Soda Creek Trail. This trail is unique for its flower diversity and longevity because numerous springs emerge along the trail allowing wildflowers which aren’t usually found in the area to grow in giant colorful fields. One of my absolute favorites! Your roundtrip distance is 5-7 miles (going off memory) with moderate elevation gain.

And for you Mountain Bikers out there;

Mountain Biking:

Deschutes River Trail: Offers easy riding in a gorgeous setting. (a “girlfriend” trip, if you’ll pardon the expression)

Mt. Bachelor to Lava Lake: Winding trails allow a lot of fast riding.

Mrazic Trail: The “best” according to the locals. 3,000ft + elev. loss

Bachelor To Bend: Some of the most varied riding I have ever done. 3,000ft elev. loss

I hope this helps a few of you who live in the area, or are visiting! :)

Edited by 111

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic