[TR] Mount Daniel - SE Ridge attempt 7/30/2013

N Dahlstrom

Trip: Mount Daniel - SE Ridge attempt

Date: 7/30/2013

Trip Report:

Had a fun (if somewhat buggy) trip up to a new area for me earlier this summer. It was a bit of a family trip. Me, my wife Lindsey, and both my sisters Holly and Kristi attempted the SE ridge of Mount Daniel with an overnight at Peggy's Pond.

IMG_02572.jpg

IMG_02592.jpg

IMG_02632.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

Cathedral Rock

We made camp at Peggy's Pond after I insisted that we scout around for quite a while looking for a possibly less buggy option only to realize it was all equally bad. We ended up back at our original spot.

The next morning we made our way up the ridge and ended up a bit too far on the south side and had to make a steep rising traverse to gain the ridge crest proper again.

IMG_02732.jpg

IMG_02742.jpg

The hiking on the ridge is actually really fun. There are lakes far below and there was a nice breeze keeping us cool.

IMG_02761.jpg

We reached a point just Southeast of the East summit and called that our high point so that we could make it back into town at a decent time.

IMG_02846.jpg

You can see the trail continuing on around the base of the East summit.

IMG_02783.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_02853.jpg

IMG_02823.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

Even without a summit it was still fun to get out and see some interesting scenery and enjoy a little ridge hiking and scrambling.

Gear Notes:

Saw some people with bugs net hats. Looks goofy, but good idea.

Approach Notes:

Long, bumpy road. First 5miles are the worst... except the last 2. Hike was fine and went quickly and the SE Ridge could be done fairly quickly as well.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days