Cannon Mountain

summithound

Hey All:

I was shot down by Cannon Mountain last month and I'm itching for another opportunity to get it done. The route I'd like to take is very specific:

• Depart along the old logging road from the Mountaineer Creek trailhead.

• Traverse the washout to continue along the old logging road (various degrees of bushwhacking).

• Just past the switchback in the road at two miles make a direct ascent of the forested ridge to gain the northwest ridge proper at four miles.

• Rather than descend to Coney Lake like most parties, stay on the ridge to the summit.

• Reverse the route on the descent.

I realize this route might be slightly more challenging than departing the old logging road at the washout and descending to Coney Lake once the northwest ridge is attained but I find it more attractive and sporting in nature. During my last attempt my buddy and I were turned around on the northwest ridge at about 8,000' (due to fatigue on his part) so I am familiar with the route up to that point.

I am free any day between, and including, this Saturday, August 11th and Thursday, August 16th. I would prefer to bivvy at the trailhead the night before so we can be off at first light. Otherwise, I think a 3:30 a.m. departure time from Kirkland would be prudent. This is a long route and I imagine the ridge will take some time. I am available to drive and am fine with picking up anybody along the way. My route will be via Highways 522 and 2. The weather forecast can be found here.

If there are any interested parties, please let me know. For the time being I want a partner before I give this another attempt.

Edited by summithound

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days