[TR] Granite and Trico Peaks - 8/2/2012

Type E

Trip: Granite and Trico Peaks -

Date: 8/2/2012

Trip Report:

The trail to the junction with Tuck/Robin lakes is in fine shape. The trail to Tuck lakes is badly eroded but easy to follow. Once reaching Tuck Lakes it is difficult to find which is the best way to reach the Robin Lakes trail. I found it easier on my return to stay on the shore of the upper lake. Once on the other side of the lake the climb is a grind with many cairns to mark the way. The going is steep but it was shorter than what I remembered. The lakes are all stil frozen and there is plenty of snow in the lake basin. I was hoping to camp between the lower and middle Granite Mountain potholes but when I saw they were both still frozen I found a suitable site in the Robin Lakes basin.

After eating lunch I easily made my way to Trico's summit and watched the clouds wage a winning war against Mt Daniel. After I returned to camp and had dinner the wind was howling and the temps dropped dramitcally. In fact there was fresh ice in the morning. Thankfully I had a very restful sleep sheltered from the biting wind. The morning was spent lounging in the very warm sun waiting for the rest of my group. A single male goat spent some time waiting for me to leave. In order to save my gear from the goats I packed up and moved on the tha base of the climb for Granite. I chose to use the trail that traversed high above the highest of the Robin Lakes. About halfway up I caught sight of the rest of my group so I pushed the pace to the summit and back again. After meeting up I decided that I better get back home and we parted way. Read a more detailed report with pictures here:

http://alpinelakesaficionado.blogspot.com/2012/08/granite-and-trico-730-31-2012.html

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days