Half day at Mt. Hood

sabrecc

I'll be in Portland tomorrow morning (5/29), and want to visit Mt. Hood. Can anyone tell me the best place to go for a afternoon of "just being there?" I hope to be able to wander around a little before having to head for the hotel in Vancouver in the late afternoon/early evening. No serious climbing time.

Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From I-205 go south and take Hwy 26 to Government Camp. As you are leaving Government Camp get in left-hand lane and take road up to Timberline Lodge. Park in lot and walk up to lower lodge (Wy'East Lodge). First door on the right (outside lower main doors) is the climber's cave where you register to climb. Go in and look around. Then go through main doors into lower lodge and purchase an inexpensive ($5 I think) lift ticket for a one-time trip to the top of the Magic Mile ski trail. Ride up and walk around and enjoy the view if youa re above the clouds, but don't get run over by a skier. The snow field above you is Palmer snowfield - the only ski area in the U.S. open year round. Ski teams and ski camps show up in June for training. Straight up above you is Crater Rock and the popular south side route. Ride back down and walk over to the upper lodge (Timberline Lodge) and go inside and look around. Timberline Lodge is a beautiful historic building and they serve a fabulous lunch ($$) in the dining room. Poor man food is served in the restaurant on top floor of the lower lodge.

When you are done drive back down to 26 and turn left. After a few miles take the exit to get on Hwy 35 to keep circling counterclockwise around the mountain. About 12 (?) miles past the turn-off to Mt. Hood Meadows ski area turn left off of Hwy 35 at sign for Cooper Spur. Drive up as far as you can to get a good look at Elliot Glacier and north and east faces of Mt. Hood. When done drive back down to Hwy 35 and head left into Hood River. Get on I-84 West to head back to Portland. Look for waterfalls on the left and Beacon Rock on the Washington side of the river on the right. From I-84 take I-205 N to get back to Vancouver.

Edited by pcg

Thanks - I managed to get to Timberline, but didn't buy the lift ticket. Tromped around in my new climbing boots (test driving them for the Rainer climb) till I realized that the glare was killing me. Gotta get new Rx sunglasses before I climb Rainier.

It was my first time to visit Mt. Hood, and I'll certainly be back. What a beautiful place!

Edited by sabrecc

You want to protect those eyes from sun and wind. You will also need great sunscreen - and be sure to get under the nose, your ears, every conceivable place. Keep lip balm handy. I didn't stop to reapply on my way down from Muir, and my lips became unrecognizable. They split, and I couldn't really eat for four days. These little personal care details make a huge difference the bigger the mountain gets.