Seattle police, they care.

jordansahls

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand the gallows humor, however don't you usually wait until the person is dead to make inappropriate jokes? Also, you would think with the federal investigation and other, recent problems the Seattle police would at least be smart enough to mock the critically injured person away from the camera. I understand that it's a stressful job filled with all sorts of terrible things, however the "gallows-humor-as-a-coping mechanism" argument only goes so far.

Agreed, I was having a similar thought process about this over dinner. The sense of entitlement that police officers have has created an extreme "us vs. them" mentality. Civilians are idiots either waiting to commit a crime, or become a victim of one. I experienced this all-to-personally when my wife and I were mugged, and when I came to consciousness in a pool of my own blood and teeth, one of the responding officers was yelling at my wife, because she had the nerve to ignore his questions while she was answering the investigating officer's questions.

My previous comment was a lame attempt at sarcasm.

Edited by E-rock

There is really no excuse for that type of behavior. As a civil servant your held to a higher standard of professionalism. These mistakes and errors in judgement by these police officer can lead to worse problems down the road. Hopefully SPD nips this type of behavior in the bud and takes corrective steps to better train their officers.

It's interesting that the only reason the officers were caught was because the injured person hired an attorney to investigate who was at fault for the accident. Also they say in the article that "The footage is approximately 15 minutes in length, but the exchange between the two officers lasts less than a minute. It is unclear whether this is the case because their microphones were turned off the rest of the time, or if the audio only recorded when the officers were inside their car".

It makes me wonder about the frequency of such incidences. How much more footage of this type of behaviour remains undiscovered simply because no one has thought to search it?