Mount Index

summithound

Hey Everyone:

I'm planning a climb up Mount Index next weekend (the 12th or 13th) via FR 62, the North Fork Tolt River and the west ridge/southwest slope. Jeff Smoot's Climbing Washington's Mountains details the route. I did some FR 62 reconnaissance today and the road is open and clear to the Weyerhaeuser gate at 5.9 miles. I'd like to mountain bike the first 3.7 miles to the point where the route departs the North Fork Tolt River Road but I'm open to walking it if not all of us have bikes.

This climb will be dependent on stable snow conditions and good weather. An ice axe and crampons will be necessary. I may even opt to carry snowshoes just in case. The weather forecast can be found through this link.

I've got a track log from a fellow who has done the climb before and I'll be able to load that in to my GPS which should make route finding a bit easier. I'm in Seattle and can pick up anybody along the way. I'd like to get most of the road walking finished during the pre-dawn hours to give us as much time as possible to make the summit. I'm not the quickest climber but I'm steady and determined.

I would really like some company for this excursion so if anybody would like to join me please let me know! The more the merrier!

UPDATE 2/18: We're all systems go for tomorrow! If you'd like to jump on board, let me know.

Edited by summithound

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested. I'll have to find a bike before I can commit though. Now after the 3.7 miles from the gate there is an additional 3.5 miles right? Can it not be ridden also? I'm also interested in safety gear you are planning on carrying, rope, pro, beacon, shovel, probe, bivy, etc.

The book claims 3.5 miles but it looks like it's only about three. The disc brakes on my bike are a little messed up and they're rubbing quite a bit so I'm going to stash my bike at that junction. At that point we shouldn't be too far from the snow line anyway.

I don't have any of the safety gear you mentioned but I heard Smoot's rating of a Class 2 or 3 scramble is pretty accurate and I'm not anticipating the need for rope or protection. It may be a bit naive of me but I also lack a beacon, shovel and probe as I have only recently been introduced to scrambling. But we shouldn't face any problems if the snow is solid.

If you don't have a bike I'm fine with donning a pair of street shoes and walking the road. It wouldn't take too long to cover that distance. I'd prefer to walk then be down a partner when it comes down to it. Here's to a good weather forecast; right now it's looking a bit gloomy.

I'm apprehensive to climb in winter conditions without avalanche safety equipment. I believe a beacon, shovel and probe are mandatory equipment for winter climbing. I like to stack the odds in my favor for survival first and summit success second. Maybe a rope is not needed for a class 2 or 3 scramble but that doesn't tell me slope angle or terrain features that can be dangerous to travel on or underneath. If you can attain a beacon, shovel, and probe I would be happy to show you how to use them for rescue. Naivety causes avalanches that kill people.