Mount Angeles (Olympics)

summithound

Hey Everyone:

I'm planning a climb of Mount Angeles in the Olympics this weekend pending acceptable avalanche danger. I'm not sure if this trip will be on Saturday or Sunday as it's totally dependent on snow conditions.

I'd like to be on the 5:35 a.m. (7:10 a.m. if Sunday) ferry from Edmonds which means an early start. The access road is gated at Heart O'the Hills Campground at dusk (half an hour after sunset - about 5:30 p.m.) and I want to give myself as much time as possible.

The plan is to follow the summer route as closely as possible, beginning on the Switchback Trail and then following the Mount Angeles climber's trail around the west side of the mountain and up the gully just northeast of the summit (as described in Climbing Washington's Mountains). Crampons and an ice axe will be needed and I'll probably pack my snowshoes as well since we'll be passing through some open meadows. Here is a link to the weather forecast.

Let me know if you're interested in joining! I can fit five people (including myself) in my car and am willing to pick up anybody along the way.

UPDATE 1/28: I've decided to postpone this trip due to a lack of motivation and a lack of tire chains. I'll update this post as soon as Angeles is back in my sights.

Edited by summithound

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic