[TR] Red Mountain - SW Ridge 11/11/2010

TyClimber

Trip: Red Mountain - SW Ridge

Date: 11/11/2010

Trip Report:

My brother and I ran up the SW ridge of Red Mountain yesterday. We had wanted to do something a bit more exciting on Colchuck or Dragontail but he had to be back in Tacoma by 3pm for work, so a half day at the pass was all we could manage. There actually wasn't as much snow up there as I had expected, so we made good time.

The route itself was relatively thinly covered, which made for much more interesting climbing. I would say there was only about 18" of snow on the route until the final few hundred feet. The snow was relatively firm, with a thick crust that almost held body weight. All in all it was a good workout with fun moderately exposed mixed climbing, and another tick off the list from Selected Climbs in the Cascades.

We went for the painfully early alpine start in case it was a wallow and then ended up doing it in just under 4.5 hours car to car. Back in Seattle before noon and regretting the 4:30 alarm!

Crappy cell phone picture of Fletch climbing the final slope to the summit.

Fletch_Red_Mountain.jpg

Approach Notes:

Walked the long way in, but figured out the short cut on the way back. Definitely the better way to go.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic