Olympic Mountains Guidebook

dorianlee

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Its great. I grew up out there and used an older edition of it to scramble a ton of peaks in high school...rout descriptions are generally accurate and easy to follow.

The newest (4th...pink/purple cover) edition has a lot of new info so get that one.

It contains a first ascent of mine on the Brothers. I believe this makes me famous and gives me a certain sense of accomplishment as I find myself veering away from my alpinist past towards family and career. So if you think my 5.3 is really 4th class...just keep it to yourself.

Old & new editions seem nearly identical apart from format and cragging additions.

Somebody here said some portion of text is based on early 1960s (50s?) Beckey book (??). Interesting question (to me) how frequently some of the most obscure peaks there are/were ever climbed.

Some might perceive sand-bagged ratings (???), but my opinion based on very little.

I've been pretty happy with mine. Some of those peaks don't get climbed very much. I've seen summit registers where the last signature was over ten years before.

You want to entertain some skepticism about the comments on rock quality. "Good rock" in the Olympics is not "good rock" in the cascades. A friend and I joke that sometimes 3rd class in the guidebook just means there is no possible anchor potential, so there is no way to use a rope...

Great book for daydreaming of long, cool trips thought.