Hilleberg Jannu

bcier

i'm contemplating picking up a hille jannu; however, i'm curious if anyone has had any experience with the jannu. i couldn't find anything substantial regarding the jannu on this site using the search engine in this gear forum.

i'm looking for a super-light 4 season tent (ideally light enough so that i can use it for solo forays as well). tarp and bivy just doesn't cut it for me any longer -- especially in high winds and snow/freezing rain in the alpine even during the summer. i'm 6'2" and my climbing partner is roughly the same size (maybe an inch taller).

the top 3 contenders for my next tent are:

1.) hille jannu

2.) id mk1 xl

3.) id mk3

the mk3 may be over-kill and too heavy. the foot print of the hille is larger but not too large (i think it becomes smaller when considering using vestibules with the id tents). the prices of all three of these tents fall roughly in the same ballpark (i'd have to get the vestibules for the id ones to accommodate our wet climbing gear). the weights of the mk1 xl and the jannu become comparable when you add the vestibule to the mk1 xl.

i really like the idea of using the outer wall of the jannu with just the poles as a tarp shelter for lower altitudes / sub alpine hiking. i'm curous as to how much the outer wall and the tent poles weigh.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have several of the HB tents including the Kaitium 3GT and would highly recommend them, they are simply the best with the most room to weight and simply to set up without crawling inside etc... and the folks there are great to work with and stand behind there stuff 100%.

have you had the jannu? i hear great things about the hilles; however, i'm not really in the market for their hoop design tents (even though i know they offer superb room vs weight). i find the tunnels are hard to pitch in small areas and i've had staking issues and guy lines rip on sharp volcanic rocks in the past. what i'm looking for is a 2 person free-standing, smallish footprint (not necessarily the tiniest footprint), lightweight (enough to carry on solo forays) either single wall or double wall tent but it has to be able to withstand snow and heavy rain (thus the epic fabric is out). i've narrowed it down to the hille jannu and the two afore mentioned id tents. my preference is to support the locally made id; however, the hille jannu seems to get more bang for buck and greater versatility. the hille jannu seems to offer greater space without a huge weight penalty.

"the hille jannu seems to get more bang for buck and greater versatility. the hille jannu seems to offer greater space without a huge weight penalty."

IMO, think you made the right choice. You will love the Hille. Call Petra or Stuart Craig and talk to them or go to thier Redmond office and take a walk thru and try and see one for yourself. I love the Hille hoop tents for everything but ledges, and for ledges and small platforms their high camps tents like the Jannu is great and has been proven even on Everest and K2 now.

BTW, I have a brand new MH Trango 3 for sale to make room for another Hille.

Hilleberg tents are great and so is the customer service. I accidentally crushed a pole holding cup and they sent me a new one the next day free of charge.

Anyhow, I own a Soulo, Allak, and Keron 4 GT. Been in up to 80mph in the Allak with not problems, the thing is built like a brick shithouse.