Italian Alps?

TarHeelEMT

I just lucked into a free plane ticket to Italy this summer, although I have to decide if I'd like to be there for two weeks or three (I'd do two so that I can spend time climbing back in the States - don't get many chances with school).

The thing is, if there's a reasonable chance that I could do some climbing in the Alps, well heck, I'll spend three weeks there.

The problem is that I know no climbers who live in Italy, don't speak Italian, and have no idea how to go about looking for an alpine climbing partner in Italy.

Anyone have ideas as to how to go about it, or thoughts on the feasibility of this?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

German is more common, can you speak German? I have spent the last few summers climbing there and this will be the first one I am missing...stupid Olympics

anyways, joining the CAI is a good start, posting up at UKC for a partner is also a good start. There is a fellow on here who lives in Munich who may be able to push you in the right direction for a partner. I think his online name is MVS, Michael. Super nice guy and climbs often in the Alps

If I was you I would try my hardest to make it happen, makes the cascades and sqaumish look like the bunny hill. If you like 25+ pitches of steep rock, no glaciers, beer at the descent gulley :) while only haveing to carry a few cams nuts and a dozen draws then this is your place. Dont let people try and tell you its crowded with all sorts of people clambering over your belay...its just not true..maybe in Cham but not in the Dolomites.

Dont be the classic American, know some German or Italian and make every attempt to use the language you will have a much better reception.

Any qeustions just ask,

Have fun

2908070011_9710f51a9a.jpg

CAI is the alpine club. That's sometimes a good venue to find partners. Once you are there they may have offices you can inquire in also, as well as buying maps. The Austrian club has offices in numerous cities.

Language depends where in Italy you are. In South Tyrol German is the more common and preferred language, in other regions that's not likely to be the case. English is very common throughout Europe in cities and in towns of any size, and among younger people who have all learned it in school. The places I've had to use my limited German have been in the valleys, with somewhat older people. There it is useful to be able to ask directions, pay bills and get change, book a room, etc.

If you are going to be near the Italian side of Mt Blanc you can try going over to Chamonix to the visitor/climber info center there. They keep a book you can post a note in, or reply to somebody else. I've never encountered this anywhere else.

I'm getting ready to go to Austria for a few weeks and joined the couchsurfing.com site. Not that I need a couch, or necessarily a ski partner either. But for larger areas, especially with universities, like Innsbruck there are a lot of members who seem to willing to meet travelers and help out with local connections. Even if you don't find a climber directly you probably have a good chance of a local pointing you in the right direction or recommending somebody they know.

If you go that far stay three weeks. It's a long trip and a great experience, and even if your time here is limited you will probably have more opportunity to climb in the US than in the alps.

Jim

You are a lucky dog! I totally agree with the others...learn at least enough of the lingo to be polite, though many people there speak English (I try never to assume they do or). Will you get a rail pass or will you be staying in one area most of the time? Some climbs require train/cable car approaches...and a pass can save you a lot of money. If you plan on mountaineering objectives you have Mont Blanc, Monte Rosa, Piz Bernina, Gran Paradiso, the Matterhorn, etc. The Dolomites offer a wide variety of rock climbs. One option, if you can afford it, is to climb with a guide. I used one for a trip a few years ago and his knowledge of the routes and language was well worth the money. There are lower cost places to stay for climbers where they speak English and often you can find partners. Good luck and have a wonderful trip!DSC00365.JPG