La Sportiva Trangos on Rainier

jewels421

Before I set out for my first summit attempt on Rainier (DC route), I heard some seriously conflicting advice about whether my Trangos (Women’s, Trango S EVO GTX version) were going to be warm/waterproof enough for the climb. Since I was doing it mid-August, and the weather was forecasted to be quite warm, I thought I would give them a go. So, I wanted to share my experience with them, for folks who are attempting to make a similar decision.

In my case, the boots were warm enough, but if I were going again, even in July/August, I would pay very close attention to the temperature/weather forecast. We had unusually warm weather (freezing level above the mountain) – I think with typical conditions I would opt for something more insulated. My feet tend to be on the cold side, though not drastically so. They didn’t not get cold at all on normal 10-15 minute breaks, but we had to wait out some weather on the cleaver for abut 40 minutes and they got pretty cold at that point. If we had waited much longer, it would have started to be a problem – as it was, it took a good 15 minutes after we started off for them to warm up.

Waterproof-wise, they were alright. I didn’t wear gaiters on the Muir snowfield, and they were damp up at Camp Muir, but dried out quickly. After the summit climb (with gaiters), they were a touch damp, but nothing major (hard to tell whether it was sweat or water).

Hope this helps…

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have and used the Trangos on the DC this past weekend and 3 weekends ago. Although I think boot choice and foot temperature is really personal these boots were awesome and more than enough for the temps. Freezing level 3 weeks ago was at 11k and this past weekend at 14k but with 30mph+ winds.

but we had to wait out some weather on the cleaver for abut 40 minutes and they got pretty cold at that point. If we had waited much longer, it would have started to be a problem – as it was, it took a good 15 minutes after we started off for them to warm up.

Honestly, I wouldn't expect any of my summit day clothes to keep me warm for 40 minutes of inactivity.

As it is, my feet perspire with the lightest of activity. If I had used my Nepal Evos my feet would've chilled themselves cold with sweat.