Flapjack Lakes

Ben Hogan

Is this a safe place to hike in the winter with avalanches and all? A buddy of mine and I went up to Upper Lake Lena and then back down to Lower Lake and camped there for the night and there was about 4-5 feet of snow we were hiking through. It was absolutely beautiful and I have heard of Flapjacks but haven't been up there before. Anyone know?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Flapjack Lakes is absolutely safe to hike in the winter. I have been up there in the winter twice. Getting up to the lake is no problem as long as you have snowshoes. If I remember correctly, it is a seven mile hike with the first half in most seasons won't have much snow. Climbing Sawtooth Ridge is more suspect. But if you get a weather window (10-15 minutes) the view of the Sawtooth Ridge is unbelievable.

You won't be safe from the rangers however. The road into Staircase is closed due to slide activity from the flanks of Mt. Rose (which burned last year). Furthermore you cannot park where the road is closed and hike in. The park/forest service will ticket you. It is a liability thing, according to them. I spoke with the ranger in charge of that district and they hope to have things open down there by late spring. I saw some photos of the staircase campground and it took a serious beating during the December rainstorm. They've got some work to do there.

You can try going into Mildred Lakes, but last I heard the Hamma Hamma also had a washout some distance before the Putvin way trail.

Man, too bad about the road!

Having been up to Staircase this past summer (August), I could understand why the Park is struggling with the impacts of weather. Not much can be done about it up there, though. We're lucky to even have a road that accesses that area, IMHO.

We hiked into Flapjack Lakes and climbed Mt. Cruiser. As noted, the first half of the hike is relatively flat. The second half gets quite steep. It would certainly be a workout switching back on skis or even blazing trail with snowshoes. Snowshoes on more dense snow might not be too bad, though.

Above the Lakes there are some nice faces that are absolutely skiable... just be aware of the different aspects and how that effects slope stability.