Aztarex tools don't have a T-rated shaft?

elliottwill

Hello,

I was considering getting a used pair of Petzl Aztarexs to use instead of my heavy Tech Wings for more moderate routes. I noticed that the shaft on the Aztars is type T, whereas the Aztarexs are only B. Has anyone tried these tools, or has any opinion on the pros and cons of the Aztarex vs other lightweight alpine tools? Obviously the new Grivel composite tools would be worth considering, but the used Aztarexes are way cheaper!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I used them on the Cassin Ridge this past summer. They are light weight. It was nice since I was carrying one on my pack a good bit of the time. You have to swing a little harder than you do with a tool that is heavier but I got use to that pretty quick.

I don't care for the shape and angle of the adze for cutting hard ice but this is just my opinion.

I'll take them again when going light in the mountains. On long waterfall ice in the lower 48, I'll take my regular tools.