Kayland Super Ice and Tecnica T-rock thermals

LuckyMike

I have been looking for just the right boot for a long time. I have been trying to get to a shop that actually has boot fitters. I recently sent in some foot beds from my sneakers for the boot fitters at a shop to look at and help find the right boot for me, this was their idea, since the drive there is about 12 hours. They said the Tecnica boots matched the foot beds that I sent in perfectly, and the Kaylands would be a little tight in the instep and take awhile to break in. I was going to order both, but thought I would ask what you guys think of both of these boots and their comfort (walking and climbing), warmth, and quality.

Also I was wondering if anyone knows if the T-rock thermal is that much warmer than the T-rock that is just lined with velveteen?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been climbing in the Super Ices for the past 3 seasons now and I love them, mostly because they fit my foot (super super super narrow heel, widish front) the best of any boot I tried on. I'm sure that there are plenty of other boots out there that are equally as comfortable hiking and climbing, but in any case, I never hesitate to climb in them (obviously), but also go snow shoeing, hiking, and x-country skiing in them in the winter time with little to no problems (I say little to no, because one time I did about 4 miles of skiing uphill, and it was the first time I'd tried x-country skiing, I didn't have the right wax, it was A LOT of work, and I ended up with blisters...) There was minimal breaking in when I got them - they were comfortable out of the box. The only change I've noticed over time is that now, if I REALLY crank on them (like stepping up on a rock with a loaded pack with my toe and really cranking up), I can get the soles to flex ever so slightly. But they're really rigid and I've certainly never popped a crampon off or anything.

My feet don't tend to get particularly cold until it gets to about 0 or below, and then generally only when the rest of my body's cold, i.e. they seem very warm for the weight and bulk.

Absolutely no complaints about quality. Like I said, I've had them for three seasons, and though I'm not out EVERY day, I get out probably about 2-3 days every other week or thereabouts for the three month or so season we have (you do the math) - and pretty much, the boots still look brand new. On of the laces is starting to fray, but that's not really related to quality. Very solid design.

Again, all of these things hold true for plenty of other boots. I just really like mine because they fit me so well.