[TR] Granite Mountain - South-side trail 6/16/2007

MichaelKnoll

Trip: Granite Mountain - South-side trail

Date: 6/16/2007

Trip Report:

The trail was snow-free to about 4,700 feet, near where the it skirts a gully and surmounts the summit ridge. The summit ridge was partly melted out. Staying on the ridge line required alternately bouldering and walking the edge of the snow where it met the boulders of the ridge. A fellow on the trail reported breaking through a thin spot here and skinning his shin. My ice ax was useful in probing for thin spots at the edge of the snow. I left the trailhead at 4:00 p.m., turned around at 5,400 feet, and arrived back at the car at 7:30 p.m. It rained most of that time. Another hiker reported snow falling above 5,400 feet, but no new snow had accumulated below 5,400 feet and it appeared unlikely that there was any accumulation above that point. Despite the rain, the trail was remarkably mud-free. Traction was so good that I was able to jog most of the descent.

Gear Notes:

An ice ax was handy for probing for thin spots in the snow on the summit ridge. Also, the ice ax allowed glissading the snow ramp on the flank of the summit ridge. It would be helpful for avoiding some bouldering and post-holing by paralleling the summit ridge on the steep snow just below (north -- climber's right) of the ridge line.

Approach Notes:

Driving directions to trailhead: From eastbound I-90 take Exit 47. Turn left at end of off-ramp. Go under the freeway and turn left at the "T". The road ends in a few hundred yards at a large parking lot at the trailhead. A self-service kiosk a few feet up the trail has self-issued wilderness permits, which are required for both day and overnight use.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic