TR - Wy'east Face - Mt Hood - 05.15.07

ptavv

I climbed/skied Wy'east yesterday. The view down on the south side route was interesting. Quite a few climbing groups, one or two skiers it looked like.

Seemed like most of the boot tracks we could see headed up the Gates. Old Chute looks primo to ski, Gates not so much.

Anyone interested in skiing SE to E facing slopes, with the temps the way they've been lately, 9:30 - 10:30 is about the latest one should summit (we left the top of Wy'east at 10:00 and it was perfect).

We did the route from Meadows parking lot. Skinned up to the top of Cascade. Booted up to about 9,000 ft where we put crampons on and booted up the rest. I didn't bring an axe, partner had whippets on his poles. A fall while climbing the face would have been a problem, but I felt comfortable with the decision.

I should have taken more pictures from the top of Wy'east looking over the S Side, but here's the only one I took:

PICT0044.JPG

Things have melted out quite a lot (pic of the way up, taken around 8500 feetish I think)

PICT0042.JPG

Due to mostly wanting to ski, the hour of sleep I had, and the tiring stairmaster climb with pack + skis not many pictures were taken, sorry :(

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic