autoblock

miladugga

Hey all,

I've started using an autoblock to rappel, (prusik cord around the rope to a leg loop with locking biner)especially if I am cleaning gear on the way down. My question is, is this safe? I'm thinking about how hot an atc gets rapping, and how they say not to run a weighted rope through a sling. Am I weakening the cord this way? So far they look and feel OK...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't recommend nabing your autoblock sling for the last piece before an epic runout. Probably best that this one gets left just for an autoblock or racking gear. I have a couple slings dedicated to just such a purpose. Also, consider using cord instead of a expensive sling for your autoblock. It will work just as well and you can cut it for the correct weight. Mtn. Freak was showing me how he cuts the cord and then keeps it on his leg loop so its ready when its time to rappel.

RC.com article on autoblocks

As long as you keep the autoblock cord pretty loose on the rope, it shouldn't generate much friction+heat. Definitely check the cord periodically (after every rappel wouldn't be too much) for abrasion+melting.

I would recommend not relying on the autoblock cord 100% to hold you. If you need to stop while rappelling to clean gear, mess with ropes, etc., take the time to wrap the brake hand end of the rope around your thigh a few times. That and your autoblock will insure that you aren't going to go anywhere.

Another link (that contains even more links) with info about autoblocks